I'll say it now: I don't like purchasing lip balm because I think it's overpriced and most of the times, not very good at all. The alcohols and preservatives that sometimes reside in these balms are more drying to your lips than anything, so making your own lip balm at home is not only cheap, but it's also way healthier for your lips. In this post, I'll show you how to make your own lip balm.
How to Make Your Own Lip Balm
This recipe will be 100% organic because if we're going to make this, it might as well be good and healthy! This lip balm is completely natural and you'll be able to customize the flavour to your liking.
What You'll Need:
- 1 tablespoon beeswax
- 2 tablespoons shea, cocoa, or mango butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 20 drops of essential oil of your choice (you can choose from peppermint, lavender, lemon, orange, etc…the choice is all yours!)
- In a small pan, put about an inch of water and turn on to medium heat.
- Place a small glass jar in the water, making sure not to get any water into the jar.
- Place all ingredients in the jar, except for the essential oil, and start stirring within the jar until the mixture melts. Again, make sure no water will go into the jar.
- Once all ingredients have melted, take your pan off the heat and stir once more. Leave the jar in the water though so that it stays warm.
- Stir in your essential oils.
- The mixture will cool and hardened quickly, so make sure sure you have containers in which to place your lip balm mixture. This will make about 18 classic lip balm tubes, but I like to place mine in round containers. Fill them quickly before your mixture hardens.
- Do not touch and let balm harden for several hours.
- Store in a cool, dry place.
- If stored properly as stated above, this will last you for a whole year!
This recipe will make a medium firm lip balm. If you'd like a harder version, just add more beeswax. If you prefer a softer, oilier version, reduce the amount of beeswax.
You can also add a couple of drops of food colouring if you'd like to give it some colour. Otherwise, it will just have that honey-coloured beeswax hue.