Have you ever thought about why in the world makeup removers are SO expensive, especially when it's so easy to make your own? Today we'll show you these super simple, yet super effective homemade makeup remover recipes that not only work, but will leave your skin silky soft!
Commercial makeup removers and makeup removing wipes are chock-full of unnecessary chemicals, perfumes, and alcohols that can actually dry up the skin, so making your own makeup remover is a very wise choice! These particular homemade makeup remover recipes only use natural ingredients and work better than most store bought makeup removers!
These homemade makeup remover recipes are easy to make and won't break the bank. Use them to remove stubborn makeup before bedtime, or, use them instead of a moisturizer/toner. Some of these homemade makeup remover recipes are super hydrating which means they can help with a number of skin problems including dry skin, oily skin, acne prone skin, and aging skin.
Homemade Makeup Remover Recipes
#1. Witch Hazel & Rosewater Makeup Remover
- 2 tbsp witch hazel
- 2 tbsp oil of your choice (jojoba, coconut, olive, almond, etc…)
- 2 tbsp rosewater or filtered water. Learn how to make your own rosewater.
- In a small bowl, mix all ingredients and store in a clean, airtight container.
- Use like you would any other makeup remover, using a cotton ball.
- Use within 3-4 days after which, discard.
The ingredients in this makeup remover are super gentle and will work on any skin types, including sensitive and irritated skin.
#2. Nourishing Makeup Remover
This super nourishing makeup remover has more ingredients than the others, but works really well at removing super stubborn makeup! This particular makeup remover is more closely related to a commercial makeup remover and it's one of our favorites!
- 1 ½ – 2 cups of distilled water
- 2 tbsp of light oil (such as olive oil, jojobaoil , or almond oil)
- 1 tbsp liquid castille soap (like Dr. Bronners)
- 1 tbsp aloe vera gel juice
- 20 drops of essential oil such as lavender or geranium (optional)
- To a clean mason jar, add all of the ingredients and shake well until thoroughly mixed.
- When you're ready to use, simply dip a cotton ball or cotton pad into the jar and let it soak for a minute.
- Take the cotton pad out and remove makeup. This DIY makeup remover is one of our favorites, even though it has more ingredients than other – it really works to remove tough, stubborn makeup.
#3. Aloe Vera & Coconut Oil Homemade Makeup Remover
This super gentle makeup remover consists only of aloe vera gel and coconut oil. Aloe contains anti inflammatory properties and is also great at preventing premature aging. Coconut oil gently removes makeup and also hydrates dry, parched skin.
- 1 tbsp fresh aloe vera gel
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or sunflower oil (if you have oily/acne prone skin, refrain from using coconut oil as it can clog pores)
- In a small bowl, mix the two ingredients together.
- Use a cotton pad and dip it into the mixture.
- Swipe across the eyes, face, or lips to remove your makeup.
- Use a gentle face wash to remove any leftover residue.
#4. Olive Oil Makeup Remover
Using olive oil to remove makeup is as simple as putting a small amount of oil onto a cotton pad and removing your makeup! If the smell of olive oil bothers you, add in some essential oils such as lavender oil. Lavender oil is great for the skin as it has natural calming properties and can help reduce redness and irritation.
BONUS: olive oil is also known to help promote hair growth, meaning it can help you get longer lashes and thicker eyebrows. It's a win-win!
#5. Makeup Remover Pads
Making your own makeup remover pads is as easy as can be! You only need a few ingredients and some cotton pads and you'll be saving a ton of money in the end!
- A mason jar or a round container
- Large, round cotton pads
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tbsp tear-free baby shampoo
- 1/4 tsp baby oil
- A few drops of essential oil, such as tea tree essential oil, lavender oil, or rosehip oil
- In a large bowl, place the baby shampoo, water, baby oil, and essential oil of your choice.
- Add about 10 cotton pads to the bowl and allow to soak well for about 10 minutes.
- Once time is up, remove the soaked cotton pads and place them gently into your mason jar.
- Add an additional 10 pads to the bowl and let them soak for 10 minutes.
- Place them on top of the other cotton pads, close the lid, and you're all set!
#6. Baby Shampoo Cheap Makeup Remover
Baby shampoo is a super cheap and effective alternative to store bought makeup removers. It's gentle on the eyes and the skin, and actually works surprisingly well at removing makeup!
#7. Apple Cider Vinegar Makeup Remover
This gentle yet super affordable and effective makeup remover recipe is made with apple cider vinegar and can also be used as a toner!
- 1 green tea bag
- 1 cup of distilled water
- ½ cup of apple cider vinegar (If you have dry skin use a little less, if oily use a little more)
- Bring some water to a boil and steep your green tea bags for 15-20 minutes.
- Allow the tea to cool completely either at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
- Once cooled, combine the distilled water, green tea, and apple cider vinegar and shake well.
- Dip a cotton pad into the jar and let it soak for about a minute. Use to remove all traces of makeup.
If you like this post, don't forget to share 🙂
Great recipes, thank you for sharing, will definitely be making some of these this weekend 🙂
Thanks Amanda! Let us know how it went for you 🙂