Last Updated on
Split ends are some of the most annoying and common hair problems, but that doesn't mean you constantly have to visit the salon for trims! This DIY split end hair mask can actually repair split ends, fix damaged and broken hair, and give hair an overall healthier appearance.
Split ends are caused due to a number of difference things:
- Over-processed hair (bleaching, dyeing)
- Excessive use of heated styling tools such as curling irons, straighteners, and blow drying.
- Chlorine from pools and excessive sun exposure.
- Chemically-laden shampoos and conditioners.
- Over-washing of the hair or excessive use of clarifying shampoos.
- Improper hair detangling such as brushing hair while wet.
- Over-use of styling products such as gels, mousses, and hair sprays.
Now that we know what can cause split ends, it's time to look at what we can do to stop and prevent them!
DIY Split End Hair Mask Recipe
This DIY Split end hair mask recipe is super easy to whip up and only contains natural ingredients. This mask will:
- Diminish the amount of split ends
- Hydrate dry, brittle hair
- Prevent split ends
- Add shine to dull hair
- Reverse damage
- Moisturize dry ends
- Hydrate dry scalp
- Strengthen hair
- Encourage healthy growth
- 1 medium avocado
- 1 egg
- 5 drops rosemary essential oil (optional)
- 5 drops sage essential oil (optional)
- 1 tbsp castor oil
- To a mixing bowl, add all of the ingredients.
- Beat on medium-high until all ingredients are thoroughly incorporated and the consistency is nice and smooth.
- Dampen hair before applying the mask.
- Apply the mask to the scalp first and then spread out evenly over the rest of your hair, paying special attention to the ends.
- Use a hair clip to secure the hair in place and cover with a shower cap or towel.
- Leave on for 30-45 minutes and wash out with cold/lukewarm water.
- The egg will be a little hard to wash out, so be sure not to use super warm water.
- Shampoo and condition as usual.
- Use at least twice a week to repair split ends, impart shine, and strengthen weak, dry, and brittle hair.
Like this post? Share, Pin, and Comment Below 🙂