Korean skincare has taken the world by storm, thanks to its focus on healthy, glowing skin and innovative products. Many people attribute their flawless complexion to the Korean beauty (K-beauty) regimen, and there's no denying that these techniques and products work wonders. In this post, we will discuss the top three Korean skincare trends you need to try right now. Each Korean skincare trend is complete with detailed explanations, step-by-step guides, and product recommendations to help you achieve that enviable K-beauty glow.
#1. Glass Skin: The Ultimate Skincare Goal
What is Glass Skin?
Glass skin is a popular K-beauty trend that refers to a complexion that is so smooth, even, and translucent that it looks like a piece of glass. Achieving this level of skin perfection requires consistent care and a well-thought-out skincare routine, using the right products and techniques.
How to Achieve Glass Skin
To attain glass skin, you'll need to follow a multi-step skincare routine that focuses on hydration, gentle exfoliation, and nourishing your skin with essential nutrients. Below is a step-by-step guide on how to achieve glass skin.
Start by removing makeup, dirt, and excess oil with an oil-based cleanser, followed by a water-based cleanser to ensure that your skin is thoroughly clean.
Use a hydrating toner to balance your skin's pH level and prepare it for the next steps of your routine.
Apply a hydrating essence to your face to deliver a high concentration of active ingredients deep into your skin.
Serums and Ampoules
Choose serums and ampoules that target your specific skin concerns, such as hyperpigmentation, fine lines, or acne. Layer them on in order of consistency, starting with the lightest.
Incorporate sheet masks into your routine 2-3 times a week to deliver an extra boost of hydration and nutrients to your skin.
Gently apply an eye cream to the delicate skin around your eyes to prevent fine lines, dark circles, and puffiness.
Seal in all the layers of hydration and nutrients with a moisturizer suited for your skin type
Always finish your routine with a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 to protect your skin from harmful UV rays and prevent premature aging.
Recommended Glass Skin Products
- Oil Cleanser: Banila Co Clean It Zero Cleansing Balm
- Water-Based Cleanser: COSRX Low pH Good Morning Gel Cleanser
- Toner: Klairs Supple Preparation Unscented Toner
- Essence: Missha Time Revolution The First Treatment Essence
- Serum: Innisfree Green Tea Seed Serum
- Ampoule: COSRX Triple C Lightning Liquid
- Sheet Mask: Mediheal N.M.F Aquaring Ampoule Mask EX
- Eye Cream: Mizon Snail Repair Eye Cream
- Moisturizer: Belif The True Cream Aqua Bomb
- Sunscreen: Neogen Dermalogy Day-Light Protection Sunscreen
#2. Hanbang: Harnessing the Power of Traditional Korean Medicine
What is Hanbang?
Hanbang is a Korean term for traditional Korean medicine, which has been practiced for thousands of years. In the context of skincare, Hanbang refers to the use of natural and medicinal ingredients derived from plants, roots, and minerals to heal and nourish the skin.
How Hanbang Ingredients Benefit Your Skin
Ginseng is a potent antioxidant that helps improve skin elasticity, boost collagen production, and reduce inflammation. It also aids in brightening the skin and diminishing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Licorice root is known for its soothing and anti-inflammatory properties. It is effective in treating redness, irritation, and hyperpigmentation, and helps to brighten the skin.
Mugwort is a popular ingredient in Korean skincare due to its soothing, calming, and anti-inflammatory properties. It is excellent for sensitive or acne-prone skin.
Green tea is a powerful antioxidant that helps protect the skin from environmental damage and inflammation. It also helps to control excess sebum production, making it an excellent choice for oily skin types.
Centella Asiatica, also known as cica or tiger grass, is known for its skin-soothing and healing properties. It helps to repair damaged skin, reduce redness and inflammation, and promote collagen production.
Incorporating Hanbang into Your Skincare Routine
To incorporate Hanbang ingredients into your skincare routine, look for products that feature these natural, medicinal ingredients. Swap out your regular toner, essence, or serum for a Hanbang-infused alternative, or add a Hanbang sheet mask to your weekly routine.
Recommended Hanbang Products
- Toner: Sulwhasoo Essential Balancing Water
- Essence: Amorepacific Vintage Single Extract Essence
- Serum: Hanyul Pure Artemisia Watery Calming Serum
- Sheet Mask: I'm From Mugwort Sheet Mask
- Moisturizer: Beauty of Joseon Dynasty Cream
- Sleeping Mask: Missha Geum Sul Vitalizing Overnight Mask
#3. Clean Beauty: Environmentally-Friendly and Skin-Loving
What is Clean Beauty?
Clean beauty is a movement that promotes the use of skincare and cosmetic products free from harmful ingredients and supports environmentally-friendly and ethical practices in the beauty industry. It encourages the use of natural, organic, and non-toxic ingredients that are safe for your skin and the environment.
The Importance of Clean Beauty
Safe for Your Skin
By using clean beauty products, you are reducing your exposure to harmful chemicals that can cause skin irritation, allergies, and long-term health issues.
Better for the Environment
Clean beauty products are often more environmentally friendly, as they use sustainable ingredients and packaging. By supporting clean beauty, you are contributing to the preservation of our planet for future generations.
Clean Beauty Ingredients to Look For
When shopping for clean beauty products, keep an eye out for skin-loving ingredients such as:
- Hyaluronic acid: a natural hydrator that helps to retain moisture in the skin
- Niacinamide: a vitamin B3 derivative that helps to improve skin texture, reduce inflammation, and brighten the complexion
- Aloe vera: a soothing, healing plant extract that is great for sensitive or irritated skin
- Vitamin C: a powerful antioxidant that brightens the skin and protects against environmental damage
- Squalane: a plant-derived oil that mimics the skin's natural sebum, helping to balance oil production and maintain moisture levels
Clean Beauty Ingredients to Avoid
To ensure you're using clean beauty products, avoid ingredients that are known to be harmful, such as:
- Parabens: preservatives that have been linked to hormonal disruptions and potential health risks
- Artificial fragrances: synthetic scents that can cause skin irritation and allergies
- Sulfates: harsh detergents that can strip the skin of its natural oils and cause irritation
- Phthalates: chemicals used to increase the flexibility of plastics, which have been linked to hormonal disruptions
- Mineral oil: a petroleum-derived ingredient that can clog pores and contribute to breakouts
Recommended Clean Beauty Products
- Cleanser: KraveBeauty Matcha Hemp Hydrating Cleanser
- Toner: Pyunkang Yul Essence Toner
- Serum: Purito Centella Green Level Buffet Serum
- Moisturizer: AXIS-Y Cera-Heart My Type Duo Cream
- Sunscreen: Dear, Klairs Soft Airy UV Essence
Your Path to K-Beauty Success
By incorporating these top three Korean skincare trends into your routine, you'll be on your way to achieving the beautiful, glowing skin that K-beauty is famous for. Remember that consistency is key – follow your skincare routine diligently and be patient, as it may take several weeks to see noticeable improvements. With time, effort, and the right products, you'll soon be enjoying the benefits of glass skin, the healing properties of Hanbang, and the safety and environmental advantages of clean beauty. Happy skincare journey!