You’ve undoubtedly seen many articles about using baking soda for dark circles, but have you ever tried it? Well we have and we’re here to tell you that yes, it actually works! It may seem “too easy”, but since baking soda is a natural skin lightener, it’s no wonder that it works so well to get rid of dark circles! Today we’ll show you how to use baking soda for dark circles and explain exactly WHY and HOW it works!
Baking Soda for Dark Circles
Before we jump into the recipe, it’s important to understand WHY people get dark circles. There are a few different culprits:
- Genetics – some people are just pre-disposed to dark circles
- Not enough sleep – obvious, but one of the most common reasons
- Dehydrating – not drinking enough water will cause the blood vessels around the eyes to shrink and therefore the area will darken.
- Bad diet – a diet high in sugars and carbohydrates retains water and can dry up the skin.
Benefits of Baking Soda for Dark Circles:
- A natural lightener, baking soda is basically a type of gentle, natural bleach which will lighten the area.
- Gently exfoliates to soften and brighten the skin.
- Is anti-septic and anti-inflammatory therefore also reducing puffiness.
- Balances pH level of the skin, resulting in smoother, softer, and clearer skin.
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp room temperature chamomile tea or filtered water
- In a small bowl, mix the baking soda with the liquid of your choice.
- Mix until a runny paste forms. You may need to add a little more liquid or a little more baking soda. Play around with the mixture until you get a runny paste.
- Dip a cotton ball or pad into the mixture and gently dab underneath the eyes.
- Leave on for at least 20 minutes or even overnight.
- Gently rinse and pat dry.
- Repeat once a day for 2 weeks, and every other day thereafter until you no longer see dark circles.
If you like this post, don’t forget to share 🙂