If you like making your own face masks, scrubs, and other cosmetics, you’ll love this DIY dry shampoo. Using only natural ingredients, this DIY dry shampoo works on both light hair and dark hair (we have two different versions for you!!!). The use and purchase of dry shampoo has gone up considerably since we now know that it’s NOT healthy to wash your hair every day, since it strips away its natural oil. Therefore, having dry shampoo can be a game changer and a hair saver! But instead of spending money on store bought dry shampoo and piling your hair with chemicals, we recommend you make your own! All you need are a couple of ingredients and you’re all set!
DIY Dry Shampoo Recipe
Dry shampoo basically absorbs the oiliness that can sit on your roots. When your hair is oily, it looks unwashed, and therefore dry shampoo can fix that in a pinch! The store bought versions are aerosols, and although we won’t be making that today (probably never), we’ll be making powdered versions which work just as well but will cost you pennies!
Keep in mind that while you’re mixing the ingredients for your DIY dry shampoo, the end product (the powder) should match your hair color as closely as possible. So play around with the measurements until you get the color that you want!
Dry Shampoo for Light Hair
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder or organic cornstarch
- 5 drops essential oil of your choice (grapefruit, lemon, lavender, etc…)
Dry Shampoo for Dark Hair
- 2 tbsps arrowroot powder or organic cornstarch
- 2 tbsps cocoa powder
- 5 drops essential oil for your choice (grapefruit, lemon, lavender, etc…)
- Mix all ingredients together and store in a clean, air right container.
- You can apply using your fingers or a clean makeup brush.
- Apply only to the roots, and tousle hair gently with your fingers to spread throughout.
- Brush through.
If you like this post, please share 🙂