Making your own lip balm is actually one of the easiest DIYs you could do, not to mention it’ll come at a fraction of the cost a store bought balm would cost you! So why not get crafty and start making your own? You can choose your scents and flavors, and it’s actually a super cool activity to do with your friends or even your kids! We love this homemade lip balm recipe because it’s sort of a dupe of Burt’s Bees lip balm, but with none of the cost!
Homemade Lip Balm Recipe
The ingredients in this homemade lip balm recipe are all 100% natural, and, once you have these on hand, you’ll be able to make hundreds of different variations!
- 2 tbsp beeswax pastilles
- 2 tbsp shea butter
- 30+ drops peppermint essential oil or any other type of essential oil of your choice
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- lip balm containers or small pots
- In a double boiler, melt the beeswax pastilles, shea butter, and coconut oil until all melted and combined together.
- Remove pan from heat, but leave the mixture over the water to keep the mixture melted.
- Start by adding a few drops of your favorite essential oil and then smelling the mixture to make sure the scent is to your liking. If you like the scent, add 30-40 drops and stir well.
- Use a dropper to fill the lip balm tubes or pour the mixture into small pots.
- Do this quickly as the mixture will harden in no time!
- Leave the balm at room temperature for a few hours until they’re completely hardened.
- Use as you would any lip balm!
If you’d like a harder, longer lasting lip balm, add a tsp or two of beeswax, and if you’d like a softer lip balm, use a little less.
If you like this post, don’t forget to share 🙂