Last Updated on
The dry, chilly air in the winter and early spring months can leave our lips cracking and parched. And then, whether we realize we are doing it or not, we tend to tirelessly lick them in an attempt to moisten but end up drying them out even more. And while there are many chapsticks and lip balms available at the shops for purchase, it is way more fun to make a lip balm at home and then we can rest easy that no crazy additives are going in. Double win!
The core ingredients for this lip balm are a hard butter (such as shea or cocoa), beeswax, and a carrier oil (coconut, almond, jojoba, sunflower, and avocado to name a few). Then, to really jazz up your lip balm, things like honey and essential oils can be added for extra nourishment, scent, and flavor.
As the recipe calls for equal parts of the core ingredients, these can be adjusted according to your preference. For example, if you prefer a firmer lip balm, use more of the shea butter and/or beeswax. If you prefer a softer lip balm, use more oil.
DIY Moisturizing Lip Balm Recipe
What You Need:
- 1 teaspoon grated beeswax
- 1 teaspoon shea butter
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil (or other carrier oil that you prefer)
- ½ teaspoon honey
- 3 drops of essential oil (such as lavender or vanilla)
- In a large glass jar or bowl combine beeswax, shea butter, and coconut oil.
- Fill about ? of a medium-sized saucepan with water and bring to a boil.
- Place the jar or bowl in/ on top of the saucepan allowing the contents to melt; be sure to stir as it is melting with a spatula or chopstick (chopstick for easier cleanup)
- Once melted completely remove from the stove and add in the honey and essential oils.
- Stir again and transfer the mixture to whatever smaller container you want to use for your lip balm (small tin, small jar, etc.)
- Set aside and let cool until hard or place in the fridge for 10-15 minutes until hard.
Use this DIY moisturizing lip balm as you would any lip balm! Simply swipe onto lips as often as needed, and more so during cold days! And don't forget that soft lips start with a good lip scrub!
Like this post? Share, Pin, and Comment Below 🙂