With the sun being as powerful as it is, your skin can easily get burnt, and you could develop some major complications if you don't tan the right way. Of course, it is not recommended that you even sit out in the sun, but if you must, here are some ground rules you should follow.
1. Never tan between the hours of 12 and 3. The sun is at its most powerful at that time, and you will only damage your skin.
2. Put some sunscreen on, or a tanning lotion-this will at least keep your skin from burning.
3. Never expose your eyes directly to the sun, it could cause your eyes a lot of damage. Wear sunglasses.
4. Always wear a hat. The sun shinning down on your head is not a good thing, and could cause a heat stroke, or later complications.
5. Try to throw some water on yourself while you tan. It will gives your skin some relief but it will also help you tan faster without burning your skin.