Hair lamination, or also known as the gelatin hair mask, has been around for a few years now, and it’s basically the same concept as paper lamination: to apply a protective layer and add gloss. This DIY hair lamination mask does the exact same thing: it adds a protective layer to the hair, adding mega shine, softness, and overall healthier strands.
Most hair lamination procedures are done at the salon and are usually called “gloss treatments”. The problem with gloss treatments though is that they’re very expensive and they also use a lot of chemicals. This DIY hair lamination mask uses only gelatin (the kind you buy at the store, Knox for example) and coconut oil (or any other oil will work just as well!).
DIY Hair Lamination AKA Gelatin Hair Mask
The key ingredient is gelatin, which contains proteins from the collagen that is extracted from animals. Sounds gross yes, but gelatin has been used for decades in a lot of different beauty DIYs, especially hair, nails, and skin.
After using the DIY hair lamination mask, you should notice smoother, shinier hair, but keep using it at least once a week over the course of a month to REALLY notice an insane difference.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 packet Knox unflavored gelatin
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or any other oil you may have on hand
- Heat the water in the microwave or on the stove top just until boiling.
- Add your gelatin to the warm water and stir well until dissolved.
- Add oil and mix well.
- Apply the mask to dry hair while it’s still warm (don’t wait too long), otherwise your gelatin will solidify and you’ll have to start all over again.
- Concentrate especially on ends and saturate hair well.
- Cover your head with a wet, hot towel and leave on for at least 15 minutes.
- Wash hair with shampoo and conditioner.
- Blow dry and see the difference!
Because this treatment contains only natural ingredients, you can use it as often as you need to. If you have really dry, damaged hair, you can use it more often than not.
If you like this post, don’t forget to share 🙂